Mainstream US Protestant and Catholic leaders sharply criticized President Donald Trump on Tuesday, a day after peaceful protesters were forcibly displaced for a staged presidential photo in front of a church near the White House.Trump won the 2016 presidential election with strong support from white Catholics and evangelical Christians. Just months ahead of the November elections, when he hopes to win a second term, Trump has been trying to appeal to those voters with the photo in front of the Episcopal church, a visit Tuesday to a shrine to Pope John Paul II, and an executive order directing US agencies to “protect” religious freedom overseas.But religious leaders have condemned the administration’s treatment of Americans protesting the death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African-American who died after a white policeman pinned his neck under a knee for nearly nine minutes in Minneapolis on May 25. Police on horseback and armed soldiers on Monday evening used tear gas and rubber bullets to push protesters back before Trump walked from the White House across Lafayette Square to St. John’s Episcopal Church, which had been damaged by fire amid protests on Sunday evening. In front of the church, Trump held up a Bible.US President Donald Trump leaves the White House on foot to go to St John’s Episcopal church across Lafayette Park in Washington, DC on June 1, 2020. – US President Donald Trump was due to make a televised address to the nation on Monday after days of anti-racism protests against policebrutality that have erupted into violence. The White House announced that the president would makeremarks imminently after he has been criticized for not publicly addressing in the crisis in recent days. AFP/ Brendan Smialowski (AFP/Brendan Smialowski )Trump has called for state governors to crack down on the thousands protesting Floyd’s death around the country, and threatened to send in the US military.John Paul, the head of the Catholic church for nearly 40 years, would “not condone the use of tear gas and other deterrents to silence, scatter or intimidate them for a photo opportunity in front of a place of worship and peace,” Archbishop Wilton Gregory, the top Catholic leader in the nation’s capital, said in a statement Tuesday. Hundreds of shouting protesters lined the street near the monument to the pope, holding signs that read, “Racist in Chief,” “Trump Mocks Christ” and “Our Church is not a Photo Op.”Susan Gunn, director of the Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns, a Catholic group that helped organize the protest, said she was disappointed that Trump had not used either occasion to try to bring people together.”Our society’s splintering. We are in the middle of a pandemic with 100,000 dead,” she said speaking of the coronavirus outbreak, which she noted has disproportionately affected people of color.”President Trump identifies himself as a Christian and avid reader of the Bible. And I just call him and all of our hurting communities to remember the great commandment to love your neighbor as yourself,” Gunn said.Bishop Michael Curry, the chief pastor and chief executive of the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church, also criticized Trump for using a church building and the Bible for partisan purposes.”We need our president, and all who hold office, to be moral leaders,” he said in a statement. “For the sake of George Floyd, for all who have wrongly suffered, and for the sake of us all, we need leaders to help us to be ‘one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.'”Trump won strong support from white evangelical Christians in the 2016 presidential election, while white Catholics backed him by 60 percent, according to Pew Research Center.Elizabeth Eaton, the presiding bishop for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, condemned Trump’s decision to use the Catholic shrine as a political backdrop.”Denouncing this outrage cannot, however, distract us from the deep wounds of structural racism and white supremacy that have been reopened by the killing of George Floyd,” she said in a statement.Topics :
The home at 16 Adam St, Wynnum, sold for $1.4 million.A four-bedroom executive home with water views has sold in Wynnum as high end buyers look to the bayside for value for money. The property at 16 Adam St sold for $1.4 million, the highest sale for the popular street for the past nine years and the third highest overall. Place Bulimba marketing agent, Marc Sorrentino said the property attracted plenty of interest. “During the period it was on the market we had over 20 inspections and three offers,” he said. “What appealed to people was that it was a high end executive house and it was in a location at the quiet end of the esplanade.”Mr Sorrentino said the property achieved such a good price thanks to its architectural design and commercial-grade fixtures and fittings. More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020The kitchen at 16 Adam St, Wynnum.“The house has quite a lot of features most other properties don’t such as a cinema room, gym,” he said. Mr Sorrentino said the Wynnum Manly area had “flown under the radar” for a long time but buyers looking to the top end of the market were taking notice. “People are now starting to discover the area and seeing how beautiful it is,” he said. “It represents really good value for money compared to Bulimba or Hawthorne. It’s 20 minutes down the road but you get so much more.“There are buyers out there who are looking for really high quality property and if they can’t find it, they build it.” In March, Mr Sorrentino sold a block of land at 28 Oceana Tce, Manly, for $1.3 million, which was a record sale for a vacant residential block in the suburb.
Loading… Although the medical protocol for group training was agreed this week, a more complex version still has to be set in stone for games to be played from June 13 or 20. According to the draft printed in Il Tempo newspaper, it is 36 pages long and covers every conceivable detail. Naturally, mascots and handshakes are banned, so is the group photograph before kick-off.Advertisement Protocol for Serie A matches during the COVID-19 pandemic is being finalised, including rules on catering, media, placing substitutes in the stands and banning protests to the referee. Players are ordered not to protest with the referee or go within 1.5 metres of the official at any time. Catering can only be done by the club’s own chef, while social distancing can be guaranteed on the bench by moving some substitutes into the stands. read also:Italian referee to handle England, Nigeria friendly Warm-ups will try to involve social distancing, letting them jog and exercise in separate areas of the pitch. Even the media will be restricted from entering the stadium, first having to fill in a questionnaire about symptoms and undergoing a temperature test. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show YouBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?