Carolina is a journalism major with a minor in Spanish. She grew up in Houston, Texas so it’s safe to say you can hear her cheering on Houston sports team, EXCEPT the Texans. She throws up the X for the Dallas Cowboys. She can’t start her day without coffee and when she’s not reporting you can find her working out or spending time with friends. What we’re reading: Chauvin found guilty in Floyd case, Xi to attend Biden’s climate change summit Carolina Olivareshttps://www.tcu360.com/author/carolina-olivares/ Previous articleMen’s Basketball to play in Dickies Arena’s first basketball game in 2019Next articleUPDATE: TCU should have known about Turpin’s New Mexico battery charge Carolina Olivares RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Abortion access threatened as restrictive bills make their way through Texas Legislature Carolina Olivareshttps://www.tcu360.com/author/carolina-olivares/ Twitter Carolina Olivareshttps://www.tcu360.com/author/carolina-olivares/ Carolina Olivares printWe’re back and we’re reading – everything from “ABC News” to “BBC News.” We’re trying to help you keep up with the rapid pace of politics and policy. Today we’ve got an update on early voting and people’s attempts to influence citizens to participate, tensions between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, and an update on Hurricane Willa making landfall in Mexico.Citizens exercise their right to voteLeave it to the city of Houston and its citizens to make an impact on the turnout of early voting. We all know how lines outside of stores look when they form on the eve of Black Friday; however, the Houston Chronicle reported a similar sight yesterday morning outside of the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center. Imagine waiting in line and hearing “Houston, I love you” from a bullhorn. Beto O’Rourke made a special appearance to cheer on supporters.Karen Bard, who doesn’t usually vote in midterms, said she waited in line for over an hour until the polls opened because O’Rourke changed that. While O’Rourke had six rallies planned over the Houston area Monday, Ted Cruz brought President Donald Trump in for a rally in his support at the Toyota Center. A case of the Twitter fingersIf you thought TED Talks were moving, you should’ve seen Rep. John Lewis’ tweet to push efforts to get people to vote in the midterm elections.Lewis is a civil rights leader who volunteered with the Freedom Riders and led a march on “Bloody Sunday” in 1965.USA Today highlighted his tweet:I have been beaten, my skull fractured, and arrested more than forty times so that each and every person has the right to register and vote. Friends of my gave their lives. Do your part. Get out there and vote like you’ve never voted before. #vote #goodtrouble— John Lewis (@repjohnlewis) October 22, 2018One of the main reasons the Democratic representative of Georgia really tried to urge voters to participate was because Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp was accused by his Democratic opponent Stacey Abrams of rejecting new voter registration applications from African Americans.“It’s very frustrating to me,” said Lewis. “It’s unreal.”Man in critical condition after trying to break into news stationMeme courtesy of Quick Meme.Shots were fired! ABC News is investigating the shooting of a suspect who attempted to gain entrance to a Washington D.C. news station Monday afternoon. The security guard on duty fired his weapon when the suspect was seen kicking his way through glass doors of the Fox 5 news station in Friendship Heights. A source close to the suspect said he is believed to have a history of mental illness and was transported to a nearby hospital after taking a bullet to the chest. The suspect is in critical condition and police are continuing their investigation on the officer that discharged. Previously detained pizza delivery man faces new chargesIt’s one thing after another and this pizza delivery man isn’t catching a break with the police. ABC News has reported Pablo Villavicencio was charged with criminal mischief after pushing his wife into a wall and slapping her, according to a criminal complaint in Nassau County.The Ecuadorian pizza delivery man found himself in a previous predicament with the law June 1 while on the job.He was detained after making a delivery to the Fort Hamilton Army post in Brooklyn.Villavicencio was released from Immigration and Customs Enforcement after a judge ruled he had the right to “engage in an immigration process.”His wife and two young daughters are all U.S. citizens.Things got heated in the Villavicencio household in Hempstead last Thursday after he allegedly pushed his wife against a wall and slapped her body. Villavicencio took away his wife’s phone so that she couldn’t report the incident to the police. His was arraigned Saturday and was ordered a $500 bail and is to report back to court today. Murder of journalist under investigation After the murder of a journalist, which took place in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, a U.S. treasury secretary met with Saudi Arabia’s prince. BBC News reported U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin met Mohammed bin Salman yesterday after Riyadh changed their story, blaming a “rogue operation” for the Jamal Khashoggi’s “murder.”The location of Khashoggi’s body is unknown.The Saudis said they have arrested 18 people and have set up a body under the orders of Salman in an effort to improve the intelligence agency.Mnuchin and the prince had a private conversation about terrorism and the death of Khashoggi, according to a Treasury Department spokesperson.Many leaders worldwide are waiting for the murder to be investigated.Germany and Canada have already threatened to stop foreign relations with Saudi Arabia.Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel said if matters aren’t “cleared up” she would stop exports to Saudi Arabia and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he may cancel a defense contract.CIA chief Gina Haspel will soon be arriving to Turkey to help investigate, according to media reports.Although President Donald Trump wants to find answers, he’s not too keen on losing the multi-billion dollar arms deal with Saudi Arabia.Foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir supports Saudi Arabia and said the prince didn’t order the murder; however, a tweet leads others to believe otherwise.“Do you think I make decisions without guidance?” Saud al-Qahtani tweeted last year in Arabic. “I am an employee and a faithful executor of the orders of the king and His Royal Highness the crown prince.Turkey has vowed “a full account” of what happened once details are known. Update on Hurricane Willa BBC News reported Mexico has begun efforts to prepare its Pacific seaboard for the Category Four hurricane.Forecasters say Hurricane Willa is expected to hit the south-western coast of Mexico today.The U.S. National Hurricane Center said winds of about 130 mph are expected as the hurricane heads north.Hurricane warnings have been sent out in the Pacific coast, San Blas, and the beach resort of Mazatlan.Some residents of Mexico Beach said Hurricane Michael, which made landfall in Florida October 10, left areas looking a “war zone.”That’s all we have for today. Check back tomorrow for more. Linkedin Individual safe after threatening to jump from Amon G. Carter Stadium Carolina Olivareshttps://www.tcu360.com/author/carolina-olivares/ + posts Linkedin ReddIt Facebook Boschini questions English-only alert system ReddIt Student expected to launch sports betting app Facebook Boschini pushes to change alert system company U.S. Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke greets supporters and early voters outside the Metropolitan Multi-Services Center on West Gray Street Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, in Houston.Photo by Godofredo A. Vasquez. What we’re reading: Former Vice President dies at 93, Chad President killed on frontlines
News Help by sharing this information May 18, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Algeria : Reporter jailed after covering Tuareg protests in southern Algeria September 11, 2020 Khaled Drareni must be freed on urgent health grounds, committees say News AlgeriaMiddle East – North Africa Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesProtecting journalistsOnline freedomsMedia independenceProtecting sources ImprisonedImpunityInternetFreedom of expressionJudicial harassment The national and international Khaled Drareni Support Committees call for this journalist’s immediate and unconditional release on urgent health grounds after seeing how thin and weak he looked when brought before a court in Algiers at the start of his appeal hearing on 8 September. Harassment of Algerian reporters intensifies in run-up to parliamentary elections Receive email alerts April 29, 2021 Find out more AlgeriaMiddle East – North Africa Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesProtecting journalistsOnline freedomsMedia independenceProtecting sources ImprisonedImpunityInternetFreedom of expressionJudicial harassment News to go further “These grossly unjust proceedings are putting his health in grave danger,” the committees said in a joint appeal to the Algerian authorities to come to their senses.The editor of the Casbah Tribune news website and the Algeria correspondent of both RSF and the French TV channel TV5 Monde, Khaled Drareni should have been acquitted right from the outset because the charges brought against him were so absurd. But now, ending the judicial harassment to which he is being subjected is urgent on health grounds as well.Held in Koléa prison near Algiers in harsh conditions since 29 March, Drareni appeared not only to have lost a lot of weight but also to be very weak at the 8 September hearing.The national Khaled Drareni Support Committee was created the day after Drareni was sentenced to three years in prison on 12 August. Made up lawyers, journalists, NGOs and ordinary citizens, it organizes demonstrations every Monday outside the House of the Press in Algiers in which hundreds of journalists take part.The international support committee, whose members include Pierre Audin, the son of Algerian independence hero Maurice Audin, was created on 23 July and launched a major international solidarity campaign entitled #WeAreKhaled in mid-August.On 7 September, RSF organized a protest outside the Algerian embassy in Paris in solidarity with Drareni in which many well-known French TV anchors took part. A demonstration was also held in Tunis the same day at the request of RSF, the National Union of Tunisian Journalists and Amnesty International.The absurd charges on which Drareni was convicted at the original trial were “inciting an unarmed gathering” and “endangering national unity.” The prosecutor asked for his three-year jail sentence to be increased to four years at the appeal hearing on 8 September. The court is expected to issue its decision on 15 September.Algeria is ranked 146th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index, five places lower than in 2019 and 27 places lower than in 2015. Organisation Follow the news on Algeria News Algeria pressures reporters by delaying renewal of accreditation May 12, 2021 Find out more
News to go further March 3, 2021 Find out more News April 27, 2021 Find out more India: RSF denounces “systemic repression” of Manipur’s media IndiaAsia – Pacific RSF_en February 5, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Police protect state minister blamed by journalist’s widow for his murder Help by sharing this information News News RSF demands release of detained Indian journalist Siddique Kappan, hospitalised with Covid-19 Organisation Reporters Without Borders called today for a thorough investigation into the murder of journalist Pramod Kumar Munna in the northeastern state of Jharkhand, in which the police are ignoring evidence pointing to the possible involvement of a minister in the state government. Munna was shot dead in the city of Deoghar on 16 December, after being threatened.“The Jharkhand police and judicial authorities must not yield to political pressure in their investigation into the Munna murder,” the press freedom organisation said. “The involvement of politicians and members of the police must be determined, especially as innocent people seem to have been arrested in order to protect those responsible.”Munna was the only Indian journalist to be killed because of his work in 2007. There is an urgent need for the authorities in New Delhi, especially the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), to look into the case, Reporters Without Borders added.Munna, who worked for the weekly Samkalin Tapman, was gunned down outside Baidyanath Dham station in Deoghar on 16 December. The next day, shops and schools in Deoghar stayed shut in protest against his murder, while local journalists wore black badges. The protests spread to the regional assembly, where Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda rejected the opposition’s request for a CBI investigation.In an interview for the magazine Tehelka, Munna’s widow, Parvati Devi, accused the state’s minister of urban development and tourism, Harinarayan Rai, and a parliamentarian of the Rashtriya Jantal Dal party, Banka Giridhari Yadav, of masterminding his murder. Last September, Munna wrote a story accusing Rai, then an independent parliamentarian, and his family of acquiring state property. “The police want to divert the focus of the investigation away from the minister,” she said.Munna was often threatened and was the victim of an attack in which he lost an eye and his house was set on fire in 2003, after writing about Yadav’s alleged links with Maoist rebels.“It is the police who killed my husband, as they did not take him to a hospital, and they also allowed the attackers to flee”, his widow told Tehelka. Deoghar police chief Manoj Kaushik initially promised not to rule out the possibility of Rai’s involvement. But soon afterwards, he announced that Rai was not under suspicion and said the murder appeared to be linked to past grudges involving Maoist rebels or known criminals. Two suspects were arrested. One was from the village that Munna came from. The other was a person linked to Yadav. Indian journalist wrongly accused of “wantonly” inaccurate reporting IndiaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on India Receive email alerts February 23, 2021 Find out more
Following the five days of training, nearly 500 service members put on an air show for residents of Campo Grande and the surrounding region. The Open Doors event brought 35,000 visitors to the Air Base — 10,000 more than in 2014. The service members at Campo Grande trained with H-60 Black Hawk, H-36 Caracal, AH-2 Sabre, H-34 Super Puma, H-50 Esquilo and H-1H Iroquois helicopters and were supported by the First Central Communications and Control Group for the Anti-Aircraft Artillery Brigade. “Only through continual, comprehensive and annual training is it possible to maintain their abilities needed to conduct missions,” Colonel Rodrigues said. From June 29-July 3, 350 service members using 15 airplanes participated in CSAR training at Campo Grande Air Base (BACG) facilities in Mato Grosso do Sul. “The exercise also helps solidify task doctrine among participants,” said Air Force Colonel Rodrigues, who coordinates the annual program that’s FAB’s primary training operation. Civilians got a close view of A-29 Super Tucano and A-1 fighters, C-105 Amazonas transport planes and some of the helicopters involved in the training. Service members simulated search and rescue actions using rappelling and hoisting techniques. During the exercise, each service member performed his or her specific task. The first pilot is responsible for maintaining flight; the second pilot communicates with the control tower and assists the first pilot; the mechanic helps the pilot in checking the aircraft’s instruments; and the equipment operator checks the landing strip, in addition to operating the rescue winch, if necessary. For low-light operations, service members use night vision goggles. “Crew members must be prepared to take actions in wartime or peacetime,” Air Force Colonel Rodrigues said. “I am a big fan of aviation, and my son adored the combat helicopters,” said Leandro Mossa, a 35-year-old banker who, along with his 8-year-old son Miguel, attended Open Doors and visited Camp Grande Air Base for the first time. Miguel was impressed by Brazil’s peace missions, said Mossa, who got a picture of him and his son in Air Force gear sitting inside a helicopter. He also won a panoramic flight in one of the exhibit planes. “Service members must be very well trained in rescuing persons from hostile territory or under enemy control,” said Air Force Colonel Eduardo Rodrigues da Silva, Chief of Staff for the Second Air Force (II FAE), the organization responsible for operational preparations for Air Force Search and Rescue at Ponta do Galeão in Rio de Janeiro. The greatest challenge for the 350 service members from 10 mobilized squadrons at Campo Grande is synchronizing and standardizing their actions. The FAB service members assigned to these units with rotating-wing aircraft suitable for rescue missions participate in this kind of training annually, spending most of the year conducting domestic search and rescue missions on land or sea that often involve helping victims of vehicular or boating accidents. Squadron training includes units from throughout the country By Dialogo July 21, 2015 Very nice. Combat experience always encourages service members. It’s horrifying that humans still think in war. It’s cruel. How could man want to destroy the world and life that God has given us? Everything in this world has a price. If you want to live in peace, always be prepared for war. It’s been like that since the beginning of time. EXACTLY MY FRIEND…!!!! ALWAYS BEING PREPARED and “ADSUMUS”! —– THESE CONDITIONS ARE THE KEY FOR PEACE TO EXIST! Congratulations to the colleagues in the Brazilian Armed Forces for opening this event to the civilian population. It can only encourage young people to love and appreciate the military. ADSUMUS Air show attracts 35,000 visitors Over five days, squadrons from Belém (PA), Santa Maria (RS), Rio de Janeiro (RJ), Anápolis (GO), Campo Grande (MS), Manaus (AM) and Porto Velho (RO) practiced and tested tactics, techniques and procedures for combat search and rescue missions. The training gauges the squadrons’ skills, which include verifying the efficiency of the equipment and crews in their compliance with doctrine manuals. Brazil’s Air Force (FAB) recently participated in Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) training to improve its precision and teamwork during dangerous rescue missions behind enemy lines. Meanwhile, spectators each donated a kilogram of non-perishable food that the Military gave to the needy. Seven tons of food were collected in two days, according to Air Force Colonel Potiguara Vieira Campos, Campo Grande Air Base’s commanding officer. “With this equipment, it is possible to land safely by sight, even at night,” Colonel Rodrigues said. “The event is a healthy integration of civil society and Air Force service members,” Air Force Colonel Rodrigues said. “It was a bit of history, but taught in a very different way.” The Open Doors program helps bring the Air Force closer to the community and motivates young people to join the Armed Forces. “It is part of our doctrine, and we try to communicate positively with citizens with our structure and our equipment,” Air Force Colonel Campos said.