Advertisement A RECOVERY plan put forward by construction employers to save jobs, generate increased government revenues and kick start economic recovery has been backed by The Mid West Branch of the Construction Industry Federation.The CIF recently held an emergency meeting that brought together all of the major construction employers, including the major material suppliers, representatives of the architectural, engineering and surveying professions, major contractors and house builders.Conor O’Connell from the CIF Mid West Branch outlined the key issues contained in the recovery plan drawn up by the CIF. According to Conor O’Connell, “infrastructure spending is the key to saving jobs, increasing exchequer revenues and providing a platform for economic recovery for the Mid West region.” “In the Mid West, construction currently employs in the region of 15,000 people directly, which is down by almost 10,000 people in two years. This does not include the thousands of people who are employed indirectly. The sector in the Mid West also supports thousands of induced jobs in the shops, restaurants etc. where construction workers spend their wages.” “It was agreed as part of the recovery plan that urgent action is needed within the next month to protect these existing jobs. The prospect of thousands of job losses in construction throughout the Mid West and the entire country is real unless the pipeline of projects increases.”“One of the major fears for construction employers in the Mid West relates to infrastructure spending and the possibility of further cuts in labour intensive projects arising from the upcoming budgetary measures. It is the view of the Mid West Branch that this would be the entirely wrong thing to do from the economy’s perspective resulting in increased social welfare costs and undoing any savings from upcoming budgetary measures.”“As it is, 75% of infrastructure spending is already committed to ongoing or contracted projects and even a minor cut in spending would mean that virtually no new projects will start over the coming months. In addition, spending on the pre-tender design, engineering and surveying has been significantly cut meaning a reduction in ready to go projects over the coming 12 months.”Mr O’Connell said, “Now is the time for the Government to take advantage of the competitive tendering environment and to place an emphasis on labour intensity and projects that are vital for the local economy in the long term.”“The payback to the state will be immediate. Research shows that every €100m spent on construction projects creates 1,000 jobs and generates nearly €50m for the exchequer through income, taxes and social welfare savings. Infrastructure improvements also ensure the future tax income of the economy by improving competitiveness and attracting inward investment.” Linkedin WhatsApp Twitter Print Previous articleDell to cut 100 more jobs in LimerickNext articleMan seriously injured in shooting admin Email NewsLocal NewsCIF sets out plan to save jobsBy admin – March 21, 2009 687 Facebook
ORVC Weekly Report (August 14-19).Players of the Week.Volleyball: Katie Gehl – Jac-Cen-DelGirls Cross Country: Leah Andres – Switzerland CountyBoys Cross Country: Trevor Levi – Rising SunGirls Golf – Katie Hertz: Shawe MemorialGirls Soccer: Kenzie Price – Rising SunORVC Report (August 14-19Courtesy of ORVC Recorder Travis Calvert.
RelatedPosts US judge blocks Trump’s postal rules that could disrupt election Minister hails Kwara Governor over appointment of 12 female Perm Secs US to divert outstanding 2020 WHO dues – Official US women national football team co-captains Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe say they are undaunted in spite of being shocked after a court dismissed their team’s claims for equal pay.The duo, who helped the US to a record fourth FIFA World Cup title last year, said they planned to appeal the decision. A California judge on Friday threw out the players’ claims that they were underpaid in comparison with the men’s team.“This decision was out of left field for us,” said forward Morgan, appearing on a remote live feed on the Good Morning America programme on Monday. “We are fighters and we will continue to fight together for this.”The team’s long-running feud with US Soccer has been a very public and bitter battle and the players had been seeking 66 million dollars in damages under the Equal Pay Act.“The WNT (Women’s National Team) has been paid more on both a cumulative and an average per-game basis than the MNT (Men’s National Team) over the class period,” the court said in its summary judgment.Last year’s Ballon d’Or winner Rapinoe said she questioned the logic of the summary judgment. “If I earn one dollar every time I play and a man earns three dollars, just because I win ten games and he only wins three games — and so I make 10 dollars and he made nine dollars —I’m not sure how that’s me making more money,” she said.The court allowed complaints of unfair medical, travel and training to proceed to trial, which is scheduled to begin June 16.Some of the players’ high-profile backers, including women’s sports pioneer Billie Jean King and presumptive US Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, leapt to their defence after news of their legal setback broke.“Don’t give up this fight. This is not over yet,” Biden wrote in a tweet to the team on Saturday, then telling US Soccer: “Equal pay, now. Or else when I’m president, you can go elsewhere for World Cup funding.”The US Men’s National Team Players Association reiterated its support for the female players in a statement on Monday. “The USMNT players continue to stand with the WNT players in their efforts to secure equal pay,” the group said.“For a year and a half the USMNT players have made proposals to the Federation that will achieve equal pay for the USMNT and USWNT players.”Reuters/NAN.Tags: Alex MorganEqual Paygender equalityMegan RapinoesoccerusaWomen National Football Team