State testing could be expanded if necessary, officials said.Carey thanked Cuomo for granting the water district access to conduct sampling and stated he looks “forward to continuing to work with New York State to protect Massapequa’s water wells.”The Massapequa Water District has maps charting the plume’s path spanning more than two decades.Local and state officials have feuded for years as to how to contain the plume and protect water supplies, with officials from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) even supporting “post-wellhead treatment” for a time—allowing wells in the hazardous chemicals’ path to first become contaminated, then receive treatment.Critics panned the contamination-first strategy and demanded extraction wells to stop the spread of the toxic plume before it contaminated more public drinking water supplies and ultimately, the Great South Bay.In his statement, Schumer accused the Navy and Northrop Grumman of “stonewalling” the water districts in their attempts to test wells.The Navy has an agreement with the state DEC that calls for it to actively track down and remediate hot spots in the plume.Residents in the impacted areas are forced to deal with the effects of disposal practices dating back to World War II by the former aerospace and weapons manufacturer, previously known only as Grumman.Grumman was credited with helping the allies win the war, but its handling of waste has since come under scrutiny.In 1983, the 600-acre Grumman Aerospace-Bethpage Facility Site was listed in the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites in New York State. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By Rashed Mian & Christopher TwarowskiGov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered the US Navy and Northrop Grumman to provide the state and a local water district access to monitoring wells so it can test for potential contamination caused by a toxic underground plume.Samples from the so-called “Grumman Plume”—the subject of a 2012 Long Island Press investigative multimedia report exposing its continuous southward journey and disastrous public health ramifications—will be tested for hazardous carcinogens by both the state and Massapequa Water District, Cuomo’s office announced Wednesday.“There have been too many questions about the extent of contamination caused by this plume and residents are frustrated with the lack of answers from the Navy and Northrop Grumman,” Cuomo said in a news release.New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, a Democrat, said testing of wells is “just what the doctor ordered” for residents in Massapequa, Bethpage, and South Farmingdale—communities where the plume has threatened water supplies.The news may provide some relief to residents and water district officials who’ve been lobbying the state for years to act. The plume is essentially a 4.5-mile long by 3.5-mile wide cocktail of potentially harmful chemicals which has been traveling south-southeast unabated for decades. The underground plume first crossed Hempstead Turnpike years ago and is currently on the verge of creeping past the Southern State Parkway.As recently as last November Massapequa Water District President Stan Carey wrote a letter to the US Navy and Northrop Grumman asking permission to sample monitoring wells to test for the “correlation between the TCE in the monitoring wells and the TCE emanating from” the plume. TCE is short for Trichloroethylene, which is classified as a human carcinogen by the US Environmental Protection Agency.As part of the state’s plan, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation will collect groundwater samples from monitoring wells in order to test for potential contaminants through a process called compound specific isotope analysis (CSIA), officials said. The Massapequa Water District will conduct its own independent analysis.
Thursday’s football game against the University of Arizona Wildcats marks the first non-bowl game to be held on a Thursday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and with it will bring new gameday procedures.The reason behind the schedule change this year is because USC is required to host a Thursday night game twice every three years as a member of the Pac-12 Conference, USC Associate Athletic Director Jose Eskenazi said.“It’s a mandated thing from the conference,” Eskenazi said. “It’s obviously not our preference to host a Thursday night game, but we have to do it, and were excited to do it in the sense that we’ll tackle it head-on and hopefully it’ll be a great game experience for all those that attend.”For the Thursday night game, no on-campus parking for the game or on-campus tailgating will be allowed.Captain David Carlisle said the university made the decision to ban campus activities to ensure that academics on campus will not be interrupted.“This being the first Thursday night game ever for USC, it’s going to be a challenge in that there will be no tailgating allowed on campus,” Carlisle said. “That is a decision that the university has made because it is going to be considered a normal academic day.”Since no on-campus parking will be available to those attending the game, other options will be made available.“Parking will be available down in L.A. Live and several lots will be open that folks can park there, and there will be a shuttle service to and from the Coliseum,” Eskenazi said.Tailgating opportunities have also been added at the Galen Center and the Coliseum.“To make up for the lack of tailgating on campus, the Galen Center will have an open tailgate that you can walk up to and pay to attend, and also the Cardinal and Gold Picnic at the Coliseum has opened up spaces for the general public,” Eskenazi said.Thursday classes will be held on their regular schedules.“Some schools cancel classes if they host a weekday football game,” Eskenazi said. “At USC, it was the administration’s decision not to do that. USC is an academic institution first and foremost, so classes are regularly scheduled and all ongoing regular campus activities will go on.”Both DPS and the Athletic Department have been preparing for months to make sure that the night goes smoothly.“We’ve been planning this for a good eight to nine months,” Eskenazi said. “It all started with getting all groups on campus together to talk about what the plans should be and what the communications would be, and making sure we adhere to the university policy that classes would still be in session and find alternatives for people to be able to attend the game.”Gian Johl, a graduate student studying business administration who plans to attend the game, said that his midterm was rescheduled as a result of the football game.“The class voted to take the midterm early because of logistics,” Johl said.Ronan Young, a freshman majoring in business administration who regularly attends USC football games, said he thinks the Thursday night date will negatively affect student attendance.“I feel like the student attendance won’t quite be the same because a lot of people that would say, go on a Saturday because it’s the only thing to do, now have work to do or schoolwork to do, and now they’re going to choose not to go,” Young said.Sean Lee, an undecided freshman who is choosing not to go to the game, also believes the date will hinder attendance.“I have the student section tickets, but I’m selling mine because I can’t make it,” Lee said. “I have a 9 a.m. class and a lot of stuff going on Friday.”Others students, however, said that the usual schedule will not stop them from going to the game.“I will definitely be attending,” said Paul Samaha, a freshman majoring in public relations. “Most people I know are still going.”The Athletic Department said they are aware of the effect that the new date could have on game attendance.“Everyone is used to it being on a Saturday so it’s a change-up from the traditional college football attending experience,” Eskenazi said. “Obviously work and school schedules will affect your ability to attend.”Nevertheless, the department is excited for this new opportunity.“It’s the first time we’ve had this sort of ‘week night under the lights’ kind of game,” Eskenazi said. “Coach [Orgeron] is pretty excited about it and he really wants the students’ support, sort of this renewed energy of the team with his leadership. I think it could be a pretty fun deal for students.”
Freelance sports journalist, Akosua Addai Amoo, reviews the action from Week 3 of the National Women’s League that saw a clash between two teams from the security services and a demolition job done by Northern Ladies. NORTHERN ZONEGeorge R.R. Martin once wrote:“A cold wind was blowing from the north, and it made the trees rustle like living things.”That’s exactly what happened in the Northern Zone encounter between Northern Ladies and Ashtown.The only difference was that, unlike the tress Martin spoke of, AshTown Ladies had no industry in them at all on the day. They could not rustle or shiver or even move as Northern Ladies left them very cold at the wrong end of a 6-0 mauling.This abysmal performance of Ashtown Ladies means they continue to languish at the bottom of the Northern Zone table. They are currently the only team in the league with zero points after three games and they are one of the oldest teams in Ghana.In a clash of two former Northern Zone champions, Fabulous Ladies and Ampem Darkoa shared a point . That will be seen as a huge feat for Fabulous who were able to halt the goal scoring prowess of the ‘Nana mma’ Ladies. Before this match, Ampem Darkoaa has scored nine times in two games.In Sunyani, it was double agony for Pearl Pia Ladies as the visitors lost the 2nd spot on the log to Prison Ladies and their winning streak after losing 1-0.Kumasi Sports Academy is definitely one team to look out for in the Northern Zone after they sealed a 3-1 win over Supreme Ladies at the Paa Joe Park in Kumasi.The league may only be three match days old but there it is getting exciting. none of the 16 teams has a hundred percent winning record and that says a lot in terms of team quality and how willing they are to succeed this year. SOUTHERN ZONEDespite being 40 and having played in three World cups and several Women’s Afcon tournaments and being the only Ghanaian female footballer to win the coveted Africa female best player of the year, Adwoa Bayor still has her magic.Her experience played an immense role for Immigration Ladies as they got their first point this season against their in-form rival security team, Police Ladies, at the LA Town Park in a thrilling encounter.Adjoa Bayor (in jersey number 5) still going strong for Immigration LadiesWith the Brexit deal finally coming into fruition this week, words like ‘leave’ and ‘remain’ crystallized in our memories.However, while Great Britain has chosen the exit route, one female team in Ghana, Halifax Ladies is trying to have a ‘remain’ legacy. The returnees, led by Black Queens Coach, Mercy Tagoe Quarcoo, drew 1-1 with Soccer Intellectuals and are third on the Southern Zone table after three games.After a sloppy start to the season with no points in two games , the three-time champions of the Women’s league, Hasaacas Ladies, redeemed their image by routing Ladystrikers 9-0 in Sekondi with Ghana’s 2018 U-17 Star, Millot Pokuaa scoring four times for the Hasmal.Samaria Ladies continued their impressive away record, picking a point in Cape Coast against Sea Lions. In two away games, Accra-based team has picked four points out of six. You can reach Akosua Addai Amoo on Twitter on @akosuaamoo