Tag: 爱上海VF


Cuomo Orders Testing Of Bethpage’s Ever-Creeping Toxic Plume


first_imgState testing could be expanded if necessary, officials said.Carey thanked Cuomo for granting the water district access to conduct sampling and stated he looks “forward to continuing to work with New York State to protect Massapequa’s water wells.”The Massapequa Water District has maps charting the plume’s path spanning more than two decades.Local and state officials have feuded for years as to how to contain the plume and protect water supplies, with officials from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) even supporting “post-wellhead treatment” for a time—allowing wells in the hazardous chemicals’ path to first become contaminated, then receive treatment.Critics panned the contamination-first strategy and demanded extraction wells to stop the spread of the toxic plume before it contaminated more public drinking water supplies and ultimately, the Great South Bay.In his statement, Schumer accused the Navy and Northrop Grumman of “stonewalling” the water districts in their attempts to test wells.The Navy has an agreement with the state DEC that calls for it to actively track down and remediate hot spots in the plume.Residents in the impacted areas are forced to deal with the effects of disposal practices dating back to World War II by the former aerospace and weapons manufacturer, previously known only as Grumman.Grumman was credited with helping the allies win the war, but its handling of waste has since come under scrutiny.In 1983, the 600-acre Grumman Aerospace-Bethpage Facility Site was listed in the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites in New York State. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By Rashed Mian & Christopher TwarowskiGov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered the US Navy and Northrop Grumman to provide the state and a local water district access to monitoring wells so it can test for potential contamination caused by a toxic underground plume.Samples from the so-called “Grumman Plume”—the subject of a 2012 Long Island Press investigative multimedia report exposing its continuous southward journey and disastrous public health ramifications—will be tested for hazardous carcinogens by both the state and Massapequa Water District, Cuomo’s office announced Wednesday.“There have been too many questions about the extent of contamination caused by this plume and residents are frustrated with the lack of answers from the Navy and Northrop Grumman,” Cuomo said in a news release.New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, a Democrat, said testing of wells is “just what the doctor ordered” for residents in Massapequa, Bethpage, and South Farmingdale—communities where the plume has threatened water supplies.The news may provide some relief to residents and water district officials who’ve been lobbying the state for years to act. The plume is essentially a 4.5-mile long by 3.5-mile wide cocktail of potentially harmful chemicals which has been traveling south-southeast unabated for decades. The underground plume first crossed Hempstead Turnpike years ago and is currently on the verge of creeping past the Southern State Parkway.As recently as last November Massapequa Water District President Stan Carey wrote a letter to the US Navy and Northrop Grumman asking permission to sample monitoring wells to test for the “correlation between the TCE in the monitoring wells and the TCE emanating from” the plume. TCE is short for Trichloroethylene, which is classified as a human carcinogen by the US Environmental Protection Agency.As part of the state’s plan, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation will collect groundwater samples from monitoring wells in order to test for potential contaminants through a process called compound specific isotope analysis (CSIA), officials said. The Massapequa Water District will conduct its own independent analysis.last_img read more


Men’s and women’s tennis round out regular season


first_imgThe No. 15 Trojans will face perhaps their toughest test of the season when they take on a UCLA team desperate for revenge after USC upset the Bruins on their home court in March. The Trojans will need some help this weekend from the Arizona schools to move back into first place and lock up the regular season title along with the top seed for the Pac-12 tournament in Ojai, Calif. “We need to treat it as any other match,” said redshirt senior Tanner Smith. “I definitely don’t want to make it about myself or the seniors, I want to make it about creating momentum for the team,” Heading into the final two matches of the regular season, the No. 10 men’s tennis team is seeking two wins over Arizona and Arizona State along with a loss by UCLA to win the Pac-12 regular season title. “Our goal is to just stick together,” freshman Bradley Frye said. “We’ve had some tough losses, especially the one against UCLA, so we just need to stand together and protect our house.” There is more on the line than just dominance over Los Angeles. Both teams sit at 7-2 in conference play and will fight for the best positioning behind Stanford in the Pac-12 standings. The Bruins and Trojans are in a three-way tie with Washington for second place heading into rivalry weekend. This weekend’s results are imperative for seeding in the Pac-12 tournament. Freshman Bradley Frye has a 9-5 record for the season and is currently on a three-match win streak. (Ling Luo/Daily Trojan) The women’s team hosts the Bruins 11 a.m. Saturday. The women’s team also continues its impressive season. After losing consecutive matches for the first time this year against Pepperdine and Washington, it bounced back to pummel Washington State 4-1 in Pullman, Wash.center_img The Trojans need to use the home court advantage, where they have a dominant 7-2 record. They will need to continue to play the type of tennis they displayed last weekend when they swept both Washington and Oregon, as they close out the regular season. Both teams still have a lot to play for in the final weekend of the regular season — championships, seedings and bragging rights are all on the line as they near the postseason. This weekend will not be as easy as the victory earlier this season as the Bruins have rounded into form and are seeking to return the favor. The Trojans will need to be sharper than ever to avoid a loss and carry their momentum in the Pac-12 tournament. Coming into the home matchups, the Trojans are on a two-match win streak and currently sit at 15-7 overall. The Wildcats are 17-4 overall and 3-3 in the Pac-12 with three consecutive wins, including an upset over Oregon. Meanwhile, the Sun Devils head into the weekend on a six-match win streak and are 4-2 in Pac-12 play. The men’s team takes on Arizona at 3 p.m. Friday. USC will then face Arizona State Saturday at 3 p.m. The 4-3 loss to UCLA on April 5 put the Trojans in second place behind the Bruins in the Pac-12 standings. “I think for this year there are no expectations, it’s just been about jumping in and seeing what we can do,” junior Angela Kulikov said. “Every time we set an expectation, honestly, we exceeded it, so I’ve learned better than to set a new limit.” last_img read more


56 Year-old Man Seeks Medical Help for Lung Condition


first_imgMr. Kolleh uses a tube inserted in the side of his chest to drain unsafe fluidsA resident of Pipeline Community in Paynesville, outside Monrovia, is seeking urgent assistance so he can receive foreign medical treatment for a complex lung disease that is threatening his life.An Eternal Love Winning Africa (ELWA) hospital’s medical report, a copy of which is with the Daily Observer, confirms that John Kolleh, 56, underwent a series of surgical procedures, but his condition has not improved.Kolleh told this newspaper yesterday that his ailment began in November of 2012, when he was diagnosed with tuberculosis (TB) at a local health center.“Since 2012, I have been going through excruciating pains when I was diagnosed with TB; but all treatment administered have not helped as life gets difficult daily for me due to pains in my chest,” he said, adding that even though he has visited Phebe and John F. Kennedy hospitals in Bong County and Monrovia respectively, he remains ill.The ELWA’s medical report advises Kolleh to seek urgent attention from an advanced health facility either in Ghana or elsewhere outside Liberia.While awaiting medical assistance, Kolleh had his first chest tube inserted in 2015, due to the collapsed of his right lung. However, it was difficult to maintain under medicine, and so the procedure was aborted.“A fibrose lung was encountered covered with calcified materials and some of the fibrose tissues were removed along with the calcified substances, but the anesthetic agent (gas) was escaping through the wound,” the medical report says, noting further that Kolleh recovered after treatment and was discharged.The medical report states further that Kolleh was relatively well until 2016 when he was rushed back to the ELWA hospital with severe respiratory (breathing) distress due to massive right pleural effusion.“A chest drain was inserted, draining several liters of purulent fluid,” the medical report says. The report, which was signed by Dr. Jerry Fahnbulleh, General Surgeon and attending physician, added that, “culture and sensitivity was performed.”The report continues, “We could not obtain both medications locally hence a cortical window was created, and pleural space irrigated with normal saline, but pus continue to re-accumulate. A chest tube was subsequently inserted and left in-situ and Kolleh was taught how to periodically open the tube to allow drainage and has since been relatively stable.”According to the medical report, two years earlier, Kolleh was diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis and right pleural effusion, but was treated for TB and a right chest tube was inserted in 2012.The father of six said his children lack the means to pay for his foreign healthcare.Prior to Kolleh’s health breakdown, he worked for National Adult Education Association of Liberia (NAEL), an adult literacy program, as a supervisor for Bomi and Grand Cape Mount counties.Anyone who wishes to help him can call cell numbers 0770621401/ 0886170447 or via his nephew Jimmie Tegli’s cell number: 0886583774.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Sania Mirza Confirms Her Sister Anam is Marrying Mohammad Azharuddin’s Son


first_img anam mirzaAsadcelebrity weddingfashion First Published: October 7, 2019, 12:11 AM IST Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. Sania Mirza’s sister Anam is set to get married to Mohammad Azharuddin’s son Asad in December. Rumours were doing rounds about Anam tying the knot with Asad and Sania recently confirmed the same.Sania also revealed that she and her sister have been to her bachelorette trip already and everyone’s really excited for the wedding. “She (Anam) is actually getting married in December. We just came back from her bachelorette trip in Paris. We are really excited,” Sania told Times of India.”She is marrying a lovely boy. His name is Asad and he happens to be the son of Mohammad Azharuddin and we are really excited about it,” Sania was quoted as saying on Saturday.The rumours about Aman and Asad became after Sania’s social media post, where she uploaded a photo with Azharuddin’s son and captioned it as: “Family”.Anam Mirza is a fashion stylist by profession and Sania is mostly styled by her for events.Sania, on the other hand, recently spoke against the practice of blaming the wives whenever a player performs poorly and gave the example of Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli.”Anushka Sharma is blamed if Virat makes a zero, like what does that have anything to do with anything. It makes no sense,” she said at the India Economic Summit on Thursday in Mumbai.Sania was also against the rule of WAGs (wives and girlfriends) not being allowed on tours.”Many a times, including our cricket team and in many teams I have seen that wives or girlfriends are not allowed on tour because the boys will be distracted.””What does that mean? What is it that the women are doing that is going to distract the men so much?” Mirza asked. last_img read more




Recent Comments