Tag: 西湖阁论坛外网


Mexico soccer star Marquez among 22 sanctioned for drug ties


first_img2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings The sanctions freeze all U.S. assets of the people and entities named and forbid U.S. citizens from doing business with them.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “I categorically deny any kind of relation to this organization,” Marquez said in a statement, adding “today is my most difficult match; I will try to clear all of this up.”Flores Hernandez allegedly operated independently in the northern city of Guadalajara but maintained alliances with the Sinaloa and Jalisco New Generation cartels. The attorney general’s office said Flores Hernandez was arrested July 20 and is being held while his extradition is pending.The Mexican Attorney General’s Office also seized related assets Wednesday, including the Grand Casino near Guadalajara, according to the U.S. statement.Mexican prosecutors said they were working closely with U.S. authorities on the investigation and added that Marquez came voluntarily to the Attorney General’s Office to provide a statement.Mike Vigil, former chief of international operations for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and author of the book “Deal,” said the 64-year old Flores Hernandez has been in the business since the 1980s.ADVERTISEMENT Teen gunned down in Masbate LOOK: Kobe’s in-game used Air Jordan 3s sell for $30k Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ LATEST STORIES Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her President Enrique Pena Nieto’s office confirmed Wednesday that a photo of the president and Alvarez had been removed from Pena Nieto’s Instagram account. The office declined further comment.The U.S. statement did not say that Marquez or Alvarez face charges in the United States.Marquez is famed as a tenacious defender whose crunching tackles have sometimes seen him sent off in high-profile matches. In Mexico he is revered as one of the country’s all-time greats, though many U.S. fans remember him for a studs-up, head-butt foul on Cobi Jones that earned him a red card at the 2002 World Cup.Marquez debuted in Mexico’s top-flight league in 1996 with Atlas and moved to AS Monaco of France’s Ligue 1 three years later. In 2003, Marquez joined Barcelona and spent 10 years there, helping the Catalonia super-club win Spanish league and Champions League trophies.Advancing into his 30s, Marquez then had stints with the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer, Leon of Mexico and Hellas Verona in Italy’s Serie A before returning to Atlas.A longtime fixture of Mexico’s national team, he led “El Tri” at four World Cups and has hoped to become only the third player ever to compete in five. Marquez has scored 13 goals wearing the green jersey in 158 appearances between 1997 and 2017, according to statistics published by the Mexican Soccer Federation.Speaking in a briefing to reporters, a high-level Treasury Department official said the association between Marquez and Flores Hernandez went back at least 20 years and Marquez served as “an important” frontman for money laundering. Under the terms of the briefing, the official could not be named. Among the entities that the department cited were his soccer academy and health and rehabilitation clinics.Marquez’s children’s foundation was also linked to Flores Hernandez, though it also had a number of corporate sponsors. It claimed to have provided food, educational and sports programs for about 1,000 low-income kids.Vigil said cartel figures have long been drawn to soccer stars and musicians.“They love soccer … so they love to associate with sports figures,” Vigil said. “Who else do they like? They like these norteno singers, because these guys create ballads about their exploits and it adds to their legend, to the folklore.” 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano It will also sanction 43 entities in Mexico, including a soccer team and casino.It is the single largest such designation of a drug trafficking organization ever by its Office of Foreign Assets Control, the statement said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Marquez, 38, is a former defender for Barcelona, Monaco and New York Red Bulls who currently plays for the Mexican soccer club Atlas in Guadalajara and is captain of the Mexican national team. He did not practice with Atlas on Wednesday.Later in the day, Marquez denied having any links to drug traffickers. “He is extraordinarily crafty in the way he strategizes and the way that he navigates between cartels,” Vigil said.But, the former agent added, Flores Hernandez has remained a mid-level drug trafficker, never forming what one would call a cartel, and of late had aligned himself with Nemesio Oseguera of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel.Vigil said Flores Hernandez had a real talent for laundering drug proceeds by setting up front companies. He said it would be difficult to imagine that Marquez didn’t know who he was dealing with because Flores Hernandez has been around for so long.“Raul Flores Hernandez has operated for decades because of his longstanding relationships with other drug cartels and his use of financial front persons to mask his investments of illegal drug proceeds,” John E. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Assets Control, said in the statement.Federal drug trafficking indictments against Flores Hernandez were returned in March in Washington and the southern district of California.The U.S. government referred to Marquez and 34-year-old norteno singer Julio Cesar Alvarez, better known as Julion Alvarez, as people with longstanding relationships with Flores Hernandez who “have acted as front persons for him and his (drug trafficking organization) and held assets on their behalf.”Alvarez has been nominated for Latin Grammys and has won Billboard awards. His latest album, “Not a Devil, nor a Saint,” released in May was his fifth No. 1 on the Billboard list of regional Mexican music.Alvarez’s manager did not immediately respond to an email request for comment. A spokesman for Universal Music, the parent company of Alvarez’s record label Fonovisa, declined to comment.But Alvarez posted a video to his Facebook page saying “absolutely nothing is going on.”Alvarez called Marquez a friend and sent him a hug: “Everything they are saying there can be cleared up.” Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Mexican football star Rafael Marquez Alvarez, center, arrives to give a press conference to deny accusations of ties to drug trafficking, at Atlas Football Club in Guadalajara, Mexico, Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017. Marquez and a well-known band leader are among 22 people sanctioned for alleged ties to a drug trafficking organization, the U.S. Treasury Department announced Wednesday. (AP Photo/Refugio Ruiz)MEXICO CITY — Legendary Mexican soccer player Rafael Marquez Alvarez and a well-known band leader are among 22 people sanctioned for alleged ties to a drug trafficking organization, the U.S. Treasury Department announced Wednesday.The sanctions are the result of a multi-year investigation of the drug trafficking organization allegedly headed by Raul Flores Hernandez, the department said in a statement.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ View commentslast_img read more


Are they going to abide by the law?


first_imgDear Editor,The question on everyone’s mind is, are they, meaning The PNC-led Coalition, going to abide by the law? From all indications, they are not prepared to do so, and this poses a problem.The Opposition Leader has already stated in clear and unambiguous language that the Granger Administration is illegally occupying the seat of Government since the passing of the no-confidence motion, which clearly states that upon the successful passage of that motion, The President and his Cabinet shall resign and call elections in 90 days. Our constitution hasn’t changed and this aspect of it must be, I repeat, must be upheld.We are in the second month of its passage and the PNC Government has shown no signs of resigning nor will they set an election date. They have shown scant regard for the laws of our country. This is a dangerous precedent being set here. When a party in Government can show such gross contempt for the laws of the State, we know where we are headed.This means that the Granger Government is not prepared to abide by the rules, so what’s next? What comes next is that upon receiving the decision this week, this vindictive dunce of an Attorney General is going to file an appeal; which means that we are in for another wave of foolishness way up to the CCJ.But wait Mr Williams, I want to ask you a question. Why waste State funds on such nonsense when you full well know that you cannot win but will have to come back to the place where respect for the law of the land is supreme? And my second point is, the people of this great country are watching and they would not be kind to you in the next election so my advice is do the honest thing sir.My final point is more of a statement of fact, and that is, do not risk Guyana becoming a pariah state. We are already on the brink with that visionless and incompetent rule and you have burdened us these three and a half years.It is high time for us to break loose from the shackles of slavery in which you have held us. We cry out for rescue! Our only hope is in The PPP/C!Respectfully,Neil Adamslast_img read more


SHAUN MC SHANE, “I’M GOING TO WIN, I’D BE SURPRISED IF HE LASTS THE DISTANCE


first_imgBOXING: Donegal boxer Shaun Mc Shane is in confident mood ahead of his return to the ring on Friday night in Ayr. Mc Shane faces Tyrone man Ben Mulligan at Ayr Town Hall – in what promises to be an intriguing encounter. Mc Shane is fully confident he can keep his unbeaten run going on Friday night, and has been delighted with his seven-week training camp.Mc Shane was originally meant to be in action in an eliminator fight in September, but had to withdraw after sustaining an injury in sparring.Mc Shane expects a tough fight on Friday, but believes he is in a good place to stop the fight within the distance.Mc Shane told Donegal Daily, “The training camp has went brilliantly, and I’m just relishing the fight now. “I was supposed to fight in September, but I got injured in sparring which was disappointing, but I’m fit now and ready for Friday.Mc Shane is expected a large crowd to descend on Ayr on Friday, with a large travelling army of support coming from his hometown of Leitir in West Donegal.With his opponent from Five Mile Town in Tyrone – there will be plenty of Irish interest in the fight.Mc Shane added, “There’s going to be a noisy crowd there and the atmosphere should be fantastic.“He’ll have a big support, but so do I, I’ve a lot of friends coming over from Donegal and I know they’ll get the place rocking.Mc Shane has trained hard for the fight and is hungry, he expects a tough fight from Mulligan on Friday, but he firmly believes he can stop him and will be surprised if the Tyrone man lasts the distance. “I’m there to do a job, and trust me I’m going to keep my winning streak going.“I’ve grafted hard for seven weeks and I’m in good shape, there will be no good pals act just because he’s Irish.“I’m going to get the win and I’ll be surprised if he lasts the six rounds with me.SHAUN MC SHANE, “I’M GOING TO WIN, I’D BE SURPRISED IF HE LASTS THE DISTANCE was last modified: November 11th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:newsSportlast_img read more


Upstairs on the second floor landing the drywall


first_imgUpstairs, on the second floor landing, the drywall was installed, mudded and sanded … The metal shop is working on a railing for the staircase. The post present an interesting challenge, as holes for the railing had to be drilled at an angle. More on this later. April 8, 2011We continue our report from 3/30 – 4/6/2011 about work on the interior of the West Housing apartment. The east wall has been painted with a color requested by the new tenants.center_img … and painted.We will continue this report after a weeks interruption with news of the upcoming Bluegrass Festival [see the announcement on our home page].last_img