Now playing: Watch this: 1:06 Mobile Tags Get more from your appliances with a smart plug 0 Google Share your voice Google Duplex can make appointments for you. Getty Images Google Duplex, the voice assistant that sounds remarkably human, is making its way to more devices. The new Google Assistant feature for booking restaurant reservations is rolling out for more Android and iOS devices in the US, a Google spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.The support page for Duplex, spotted earlier by 9to5Google, says Android devices running version 5.0 or later and iPhones with Google Assistant installed can use Duplex, but not everywhere. XDA Developers reported Wednesday it was able to use Duplex on a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus.Previously, Duplex was available only on Google’s Pixel phones. In March, Google said Duplex was expanding to Pixel owners in 43 states.Google Duplex was announced last May and boasted the ability to make calls on the user’s behalf. Instead of a robotic voice, Duplex has a voice that sounds human and uses “complex sentences, fast speech and long remarks.” The assistant can schedule appointments, make reservations and get information from businesses.To use Duplex, you need only ask Google Assistant to perform a task like booking a table or scheduling an appointment.Originally published April 3, 10:08 a.m. PT.Update, 10:32 a.m.: Adds confirmation from Google. Post a comment
A number of roads are impassable, Amtrak has suspended service south of D.C., DASH buses are suspended, even the White House basement is flooding. https://t.co/UkQIx6AQbG pic.twitter.com/RBabFTXwfx— DCist (@DCist) July 8, 2019 Serious flooding situation on Canal Road near Fletchers Cove with numerous drivers stranded, so I’m swimming to safety #DCWX @WTOP pic.twitter.com/UNFOmZkltO— Dave Dildine (@DildineWTOP) July 8, 2019 White House is leaking pic.twitter.com/rmfQBDiyCk— Betsy Klein (@betsy_klein) July 8, 2019 Comments Scary exit from the parking garage under the Capitals Ice Rink / Ballston Commons Mall in Arlington. The bottom level is a River! @WTOP @WTOPtraffic @ABC7News pic.twitter.com/exleKNbpEw— Wendy Marco (@WendyMarco924) July 8, 2019 The rain is largely over, but power outages, sinkholes, road closures, and flooding remain. https://t.co/dBbu51zlJB pic.twitter.com/gi1zw3p416— Rachel Sadon (@Rachel_Sadon) July 8, 2019 Twitter 3 Got to see a waterfall today during my morning commute #VSquare pic.twitter.com/e3i0sCmxGo— Hugo Dante (@HugoDanteJr) July 8, 2019 #DCsBravest have removed several occupants to safety from cars in high water at 15th St and Constitution Ave NW. pic.twitter.com/MKXSMJzsua— DC Fire and EMS (@dcfireems) July 8, 2019 The leaks from this White House just don’t stop.— 🏴☠️ PirateCat 🏴☠️ (@PirateCat8) July 8, 2019 I’m advising commuters not to use the street elevator at Pentagon Metro this morning. #wmata pic.twitter.com/z8bNwAPcPG— Nick Scalera (@nickscalera) July 8, 2019 It’s official: The White House basement is flooding. pic.twitter.com/f1DR6awE89— Eamon Javers (@EamonJavers) July 8, 2019 The Reflecting Pool is getting a bit full of itself…— Charles King (@PundITInc) July 8, 2019 Share your voice Harder for the brits to burn down again…— Tormented Penguin (@TormentedPengu) July 8, 2019 At press time, transportation officials were warning of a bad evening commute ahead for Washingtonians. We got a bit of an issue here… 😱 pic.twitter.com/58g9RJfm0c— Dr. Rocío Caballero-Gill (@CaballeroGill) July 8, 2019 Update: swamp draining in progress. WH leaks appear contained. Press pool dry. pic.twitter.com/crYTdjelG5— Eamon Javers (@EamonJavers) July 8, 2019 The situation was serious, but it being DC, jokes, of course, were inevitable. That happens a lot downtown, and it is actually fine, to a point. Remember: This was a swamp, and you are really in what was the Potomac’s marshy banks all the way up to Capitol Hill. And once in a while nature reminds you of it.— Tᴏm Mᴏᴏʀᴇ (@PaperMissiles) July 8, 2019 The National Archives Building in Washington, DC, is closed today due to electrical outages. The Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights–along with all of the permanently valuable records stored in the building–are safe and not in any danger. pic.twitter.com/aGWOie0BjC— US National Archives (@USNatArchives) July 8, 2019 I spent all weekend being like “Will it just fucking rain already?” and now I have to go gather up animals by twos.— Drew Magary (@drewmagary) July 8, 2019 Unnerving photos and video shared to social media showed just how deep the water really was. The weather led to some frightening images of water flooding elevators, Metro stations and parking lots.The White House didn’t go untouched. Several journalists posted photos of water leaking into the press space in the White House basement, which naturally led to plenty of jokes about presidential leaks and swamp-draining. Tags The Washington, DC, area on Monday was deluged with heavy rain, which turned streets into rivers and led to closed roads and stranded drivers. Water also seeped into the White House basement. The National Weather Service declared a flash flood emergency, and CBS News reports that “the storm dumped about 6.3 inches of rain near Frederick, Maryland, about 4.5 inches near Arlington, Virginia, and about 3.4 inches at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in a two-hour period.”The flooding was deep in the streets outside the National Archives building, which had to close Monday. The site’s official Twitter account said the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Bill of Rights and other valuable records stored there were not in danger. Random
Vivo S1 launchChetan PriyadarshanIn this tech-savvy generation, the first thought while buying a phone is always confusing. What to focus more on the camera or the processor? With technology increasing at a lightning speed, the middle-class buyer can only imagine owning a smartphone packed with high-end specifications without burning a hole in the pocket.However, not all smartphone manufacturers quote a price to panic the consumers. Vivo is one such giant that pools features required to boast a well-designed phone sporting heavy technology and best camera with the launch of Vivo S1 in India today. The competitors are up for facing new challenges. Vivo S1 launchChetan PriyadarshanVivo S1 was launched in China in March and in Indonesia last month to great success in grabbing all the eyeballs with its latest MediaTek Helio P65 SoC, triple rear camera, 4,500mAh battery and an in-display fingerprint.The smartphone was launched in the Indian market today and made its tagline “It’s my style” come alive.Affordable smartphones driven by technology and premium specifications is something Vivo offers and with the S1 at Rs17,990 for 4GB/128GB configuration. The smartphone giant is making its presence felt among the mid-range smartphones arena. Vivo S1 launchChetan PriyadarshanThe other variants with 6GB/64GB and 6GB/128GB are priced at Rs18,990 and Rs 19,990, respectively.A 16-megapixel primary sensor, an 8-megapixel secondary sensor and a 2-megapixel tertiary sensor for the triple-rear camera allows you to capture memories as wide as your memory. The front is loaded with a 32-megapixel pop-up selfie camera and in-display fingerprint sensor sporting under a notched 6.83-inch full-HD+ Super AMOLED display.Vivo S1 is a competitive entrant in the Indian mid-range smartphone segment. It runs Funtouch OS9 based on Android 9.0 Pie out-of-the-box. The octa-core processor supported by the latest MediaTek Helio P65 SoC is backed by 4GB/6GB RAM variant and has up to 128GB storage. Vivo S1 launchedThe phone is a must to watch out for, so stay tuned for the upcoming full review.
The chargesheet of the much talked about case of Gulshan Holey Artisan cafe attack, will be submitted by December 31 this year.Counter Terrorism and Transational Crime (CTTC) unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) has been investigating the sensational Gulshan cafe attack case.On the evening of 1 July last year, five militants entered the Holy Artisan Cafe and Bakery with crude bombs, machetes, pistols, and took dozens of people, including 18 foreigners, hostage.Twenty hostages, including 17 foreigners, were killed as the militants sprayed them with bullets indiscriminately or cut their throats to confirm their death inside the cafe. Besides, two senior police officers – Banani police station then officer-in-charge Salauddin Ahmed Khan and Detective Branch assistant commissioner Robiul Islam – were shot dead when police tried to overpower them. Talking to UNB, Monirul Islam, the chief of the CTTC unit and also additional commissioner of the DMP, said they have got more names, who were somehow involved in the cafe attack. “We have been trying to arrest those suspects,” he said. Monirul Islam said five militants who went to the spot or directly involved in the attack, were killed on the spot during operation led by the 1st Para-commando Battalion, an elite force in the Bangladesh Army the following morning (July 2).Besides, eight more militants who were involved in planning and coordination in the attack have already been killed during anti-militant operations in different areas across the country in the last one year, he said.Replying to a question, Monirul Islam said the CTTC unit has already arrested several most wanted suspects in the case, including firearms supplier Mizanur Rahman alias Boro Mijan, and all of them have already given their statements before the magistrate confessing their involvement in the deadliest attack.We are hopeful to submit charge sheet of the case by 31 December this year, he added.Replying to a question, the CTTC unit chief firmly said militant’s strength to carry out attacks like the one on Holy Artisan cafe; has already been broken due to countrywide anti-militant drives.They may try to get reorganised again but their efforts would go in vain due to activities of law enforcement agencies, he said.Thirteen people, including three foreigners, were rescued while 20 bodies of the hostages were recovered from the restaurant after a successful commando operation codenamed ‘Thunderbolt’ the following day (July 2).A case was filed with Gulshan police station in connection with the terror attack. Later the case was shifted to Detective Branch of DMP. Now, Inspector Humayun Ahmed of Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit (CTTC) has been investigating the case as its investigation officer (IO).
Damage to a store is revealed after the stolen truck, which was driven through a crowd outside a department in Stockholm. Photo: AFPSweden early Saturday arrested a man for a “terrorist crime” hours after a beer truck ploughed into a crowd outside a busy department store in central Stockholm, killing four and injuring 15.The man was arrested “on suspicion of a terrorist crime through murder,” Karin Rosander, a communications director at the Swedish Prosecution Authority, told AFP.Police said earlier on Friday after the attack that they had detained the man who “matched the description” of a photo released of a suspect wearing a dark hoodie and military green jacket.But they did not confirm if he drove the truck.According to the Aftonbladet newspaper, the same man is a 39-year-old of Uzbek origin and a supporter of the Islamic State (IS) group.If confirmed as a terror attack, it would be Sweden’s first such deadly assault. The 15 injured included children and nine people were “seriously” wounded, health authorities said.Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said he had strengthened the country’s border controls.“Terrorists want us to be afraid, want us to change our behaviour, want us to not live our lives normally, but that is what we’re going to do. So terrorists can never defeat Sweden, never,” he said.The attack occurred just before 3:00 pm (1300 GMT) when the stolen truck slammed into the corner of the bustling Ahlens store and the popular pedestrian street Drottninggatan, above ground from Stockholm’s central subway station.Pictures taken at the scene showed a large blue beer truck with a mangled undercarriage smashed into the Ahlens department store.Witnesses described scenes of terror and panic.“A massive truck starts driving … and mangles everything and just drives over exactly everything,” eyewitness Rikard Gauffin told AFP.“It was so terrible and there were bodies lying everywhere… it was really terrifying,” he added.The truck was towed away in the early hours of Saturday.TrappedPolice cars and ambulances rapidly flooded the scene after the attack, as central streets and squares were blocked off amid fears that another attack could be imminent.Helicopters hovered overhead across the city, sirens wailed, and police vans criss-crossed the streets using loudspeakers to urge people to head straight home and avoid crowded places.But with the metro system and commuter trains shut down for several hours after the attack, other streets heading out of the city were packed with thousands of pedestrians trying to find a way home.Haval, a 30-year-old sales clerk who didn’t want to reveal his last name, was in the metro at the time of the attack.His train stopped immediately and he had to get out, along with all the other passengers.They walked along the street before being ushered inside a nearby hotel for safety.“We were suddenly trapped inside a hotel and there was the worst kind of horror in there,” he told AFP.“We were scared, we were scared something else would happen, he added.‘Bleeding to death’Marko was in coffee shop near the scene with his girlfriend when he saw the truck ram into the store.“He hit a woman first, then he drove over a bunch of other people … We took care of everyone lying on the ground,” he told Swedish daily newspaper Aftonbladet.Hasan Sidi, another passerby, told Aftonbladet he saw two elderly women lying on the ground.He said people at the scene urged him to help one of the women who was “bleeding to death”.“One of them died… I don’t know if the other one made it,” Sidi said.“The police were shocked. Everyone was shocked.”‘You can’t break us’In an editorial, Sweden’s biggest broadsheet Dagens Nyheter wrote: “What we feared for a long time finally happened.”“The fear and panic right after the incident was inevitable. The images from the attack were terrible,” the paper said.But Stockholm managed to stay “cool-headed” even though the attacker struck “Sweden and Stockholm’s heart”, it added.Friday’s attack was the latest in a string of similar assaults with vehicles in Europe, including in London, Berlin and the southern French city of Nice.The deadliest came last year in France on the July 14 Bastille Day national holiday, when a man rammed a truck into a crowd in the Mediterranean resort of Nice, killing 86 people.Last month, Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old convert to Islam known to British security services, killed five people when he drove a car at high speed into pedestrians on London’s Westminster Bridge before launching a frenzied knife attack on a policeman guarding the parliament building.And in December, a man hijacked a truck and slammed into shoppers at a Christmas market in Berlin, killing 12 people.In 2014, IS called for attacks on citizens of Western countries and gave instructions on how they could be carried out without military equipment, using rocks or knives, or by running people over in vehicles.
Philips has recently designed a type of wallpaper with conducting stripes running through it, enabling electrical devices to be hooked up to just about anywhere on the wall. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Top view of an electrical device (yellow) connected with pins (blue) to conductive wiring (gray) concealed in wallpaper (red). (Adapted image from the Conducting Wallpaper patent application.) Besides walls, the wallpaper could be attached to ceilings and floors as well, according to the company’s recent patent application. Electrical devices would connect to the invisible wiring with contact pins, and could tap into a range of voltages, from 1 to 12 volts. The global company hopes that such a system will be ideal for future OLED devices, but could also accommodate LEDs, TVs, multimedia systems, video projectors, lamps, clocks, electroluminescent panels, and more.Philips’ conducting wallpaper is not the first of its kind, but the company hopes that its version can overcome some of the disadvantages of previous versions. Namely, Philips’ wallpaper provides a range of voltages for devices, which can easily be tapped into from many positions on the wall. By repositioning the pins to correspond to specific pitches of the stripes, different voltage levels can be achieved. For safety, the system would likely have a total maximum voltage level of 50-60 volts.The conductive stripes would be made of a metallic material such as copper, aluminum, silver, gold or steel, and receive power from an external electrical supply. The wallpaper, described as “a usual wallpaper or any kind of tapestry,” would simultaneously provide electrical insulation and aesthetic value. The stripes could either be glued onto the wall and covered by the wallpaper, or the stripes could be fabricated into the wallpaper, which would then be glued to the wall as a whole sheet. Philips also suggests a few methods for hanging the electrical devices, such as a double-sided adhesive or a mechanical connection using nails or screws. Another alternative could be a mechanical fastening involving the pins themselves. With wired wallpaper, Philips hopes to give consumers the option of changing the positions of their electrical fixtures without needing to rewire the entire room with conventional, behind-the-wall wiring. The idea could dramatically the change the future of homes and buildings.Conducting Wallpaper patent application via New Scientist Citation: Wired Wallpaper Offers Alternative to Outlets (2008, February 12) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2008-02-wired-wallpaper-alternative-outlets.html