Photo: Mary “Pamela” Wray of Fort St. John is one of six British Columbians collecting prizes after quiting smoking. Today Northern Health Authority Region officials Betty Morris, COO, Northeast Health Services Delivery Area and Dr. Charl Badenhorst, Medical Health Officer congratulated Prize Winner Pamela Wray (centre) on her biggest win: quitting smoking – submittedA 71 year-old woman proves its not too late to quit smoking after she won a province-wide challenge. – Advertisement -Fort St. John resident Mary Wray, along with 5 other British Columbians, won the BC Lung Association’s QuitNow & WIN contest. Wray was a smoker for 58 years. She says she threw away all of her rolling papers and tobacco and hid her ashtrays to help her quit. Wray was one of 7,000 people who signed up for the challenge. The contestants had to prove they were smoke-free by providing urine samples and a carbon dioxide test. The winners were chosen randomly after a one month challenge. Wray won a two thousand, 500 dollar gift certificate for WestJet. She says she plans to use the certificate to visit her sister in Ontario, whom she hasn’t seen for almost 45 years. For more information about the 2009 QuitNow & WIN contest, visit www.quitnow.ca.Advertisement
Saina Nehwal will be back to the grind of competitive badminton when the Denmark Open Super Series Premier event begins on Tuesday.Saina had taken a break after winning bronze at the London Olympics in August.The ace Indian shuttler skipped the China Masters, Japan Open and also the senior national championships last month.She will meet South Korean Yeon Ju Bae in the first round on Wednesday. Saina enjoys a 4-2 record against the South Korean. Bae, however, left her to tears the last time the two clashed as she shut door on Saina in the Indian Open in April.Pullela Gopichand, who is accompanying Saina in Denmark, said that Saina has prepared well for her comeback tournament.”It was a well-deser ved break for Saina as she was playing non-stop. She also needed to enjoy her success at the London Olympics. “She is back to prac tice for more than a month now and has slowly picked up her rhythm. She is eager to get back to the competitive mould,” Gopichand said. Saina is seeded third in the tournament which will see all the top C h inese girls competing.Wang Yihan is the No.1 seed followe d by Olympic champion Li Xuerui and wo rld No.4 Shixian Wang in the 32-player draw.If she clears the first two rounds, Saina will face her first big hurdle in Denmark’s Tine Baun in the quarter-finals. Saina had got the bet ter of her in the last-eight stage of the London Games . Apart from Saina, Ajay Jayaram will play in the men’s singles and fa ce seventh seeded Chinese Pengyu Du in the first round. Ajay, who lost to Parupalli Kashyap in the final of the national championships, has been in good form and made it to the semi-finals of China Masters.”I have to be more consistent at the top level to move into the top-20 in rankings. I have done well this season and the next two tournaments, Denmark Open and French Open, will be important for me,” Jayaram said.Ashwini Ponappa and Tarun Kona will be in ac tion in the mixed doubles while Kona and Arun Vishnu has got an entry into the main draw of men’s doubles.advertisement
Police searching for suspect who stole pickup truck at gunpoint Posted: October 13, 2018 KUSI Newsroom October 13, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A man was at large Saturday in a Toyota pickup truck stolen at gunpoint from a man in a San Diego neighborhood after he first tried to take a woman’s SUV, authorities said.The carjacking was reported at 6:13 p.m. at 3645 Lloyd Terrace, San Diego police Officer Robert Heims said.A 21-year-old woman was parking her Ford Expedition on the street when the suspect walked up to the passenger side window, pointed a gun at her and demanded the keys, Heims said. “The victim turned off the truck and threw the keys at the suspect then she got out of the truck and ran away.”The suspect recovered the keys, got in on the driver’s side and put the keys in the ignition but got out and walked to a house with an open garage, he said.The suspect pointed a gun at a man inside a garage and demanded his truck, Heims said. The victim handed over the keys and the suspect took the gray 2002 Toyota Tacoma truck with a ladder rack in the back. The California license number is 6Y93910.The suspect was described as Hispanic, in his late 20s, 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, with short dark hair and a short beard, wearing a dark hoodie, red shirt, dark pants and dark shoes, the officer said..Anyone with information was asked to call San Diego police at (619) 531-2000 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.
Now playing: Watch this: 1:06 Mobile Tags Get more from your appliances with a smart plug 0 Google Share your voice Google Duplex can make appointments for you. Getty Images Google Duplex, the voice assistant that sounds remarkably human, is making its way to more devices. The new Google Assistant feature for booking restaurant reservations is rolling out for more Android and iOS devices in the US, a Google spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.The support page for Duplex, spotted earlier by 9to5Google, says Android devices running version 5.0 or later and iPhones with Google Assistant installed can use Duplex, but not everywhere. XDA Developers reported Wednesday it was able to use Duplex on a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus.Previously, Duplex was available only on Google’s Pixel phones. In March, Google said Duplex was expanding to Pixel owners in 43 states.Google Duplex was announced last May and boasted the ability to make calls on the user’s behalf. Instead of a robotic voice, Duplex has a voice that sounds human and uses “complex sentences, fast speech and long remarks.” The assistant can schedule appointments, make reservations and get information from businesses.To use Duplex, you need only ask Google Assistant to perform a task like booking a table or scheduling an appointment.Originally published April 3, 10:08 a.m. PT.Update, 10:32 a.m.: Adds confirmation from Google. Post a comment
×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 Facebook Reportedly Working on New Snapchat-Like Messaging App for Instagram Related Lawrence O’Donnell Draws Unwanted Spotlight to MSNBC Cooper’s “Full Circle” is among the slate of news programming Facebook originally greenlit and funded last summer from nearly two dozen partners — part of the company’s efforts to show it’s supporting credible news content for Facebook, as well as to bring users to Facebook Watch.Earlier this year, CNN decided to bring Cooper’s show to its owned-and-operated platforms because the show had proved it could attract an audience and the network wanted to gain better economics, by controlling the ad inventory. “Shifting [‘Anderson Cooper Full Circle’] to our own properties is a significant step in our streaming strategy,” Morse wrote in the memo. “This is not a trial. It’s the beginning of something. We waited for the right program to come along to stream on our owned platforms, and now we’ve found it.”Word of CNN’s changes come as Facebook is touting Watch’s momentum. According to Facebook, the number of users for the video service daily has grown to 140 million, up from 75 million six months ago, and now watch an average of 26 minutes of video daily (although Facebook is counting everyone who watched a minimum of 60 seconds of video).“Anderson Cooper Full Circle” will end its run on Facebook Watch on July 17 and then take a summer break before resuming on CNN’s digital platforms after Labor Day. CNN’s decision to move “Full Circle” to its own platforms was first reported by BI Prime.The majority of the audience for “Full Circle” on Facebook was between 13-54, according to Morse. He’s confident the show will find a robust viewership on CNN’s own platforms, noting that in the first quarter of 2019, Anderson’s “AC360” content had 4 million monthly video starts on the CNN mobile app alone, which was up more than six-fold from 2018.According to Shelley Venus, Facebook’s global video lead for news partnerships, CNN’s move to take “Full Circle” to its owned-and-operated properties fits into the social giant’s original premise in funding news content.“One of our intentions with the news in Watch program was to incubate new [intellectual property] with partners and figure out where that video content would be more successful for them in the long term with audiences, both on Watch and in general,” she said in a statement. “The CNN team has demonstrated that they are excited to bring the show to CNN’s core fans and site, and in the meantime, we will be applying the lessons learned over the past year to bring a new show to Facebook to test with them.” CNN said it also will take insights it gleaned from “Anderson Cooper Full Circle” and apply them to “Go There,” which is designed to be a test for a different format.“We learned a number of things in the first year of the show,” Morse wrote in the staff memo. “We saw patterns in stories that resonated and observed how our audience wants to consume this mobile-first streaming content. Most important, we learned that the show’s real special sauce was the audience’s trust in Anderson and our CNN correspondents in the field.”Of the 21 news partners Facebook originally funded, it has renewed shows with about one-third of them, including CNN, ABC News, Business Insider, BuzzFeed News, Fox News Channel, Group Nine Media’s NowThis and Univision, according to Facebook. Popular on Variety After a year on Facebook Watch, CNN’s “Anderson Cooper Full Circle” daily news program will leave the social platform next month — and instead will run on the cable news network’s own digital properties starting in September.At the same time, CNN has set a new show for Facebook Watch slated to debut this summer: “Go There,” described as a single-topic daily news show running 10-15 minutes “built for the next generation of news junkies on Facebook,” according to the network. It will feature a new format in which CNN correspondents in the field will report directly from their mobile devices.The Cooper show relatively speaking was a hit on Facebook: Episodes of “Full Circle,” which have run Monday-Friday since July 2017, on average have reached 2 million people, according to CNN, and “we know it will perform well on our platforms too,” Andrew Morse, executive VP and GM of CNN Digital Worldwide, wrote in a memo to staff that was obtained by Variety.